(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Friday, October 20, 2006

Movies

It's a rainy afternoon and I'm thinking I'll go see a movie later. There are three good options, all starting at the same time: The Queen, Marie Antoinette, and The Prestige. I'll probably opt for the latter.

I remember the day when my Bloomington grandmother and I saw three different movies in a row at three different theaters: we trooped from the Irvin to the Castle to the Esquire. I guess it hadn't been important to coordinate the starting times; nobody thought too much about seeing a movie from the beginning - you just showed up. You sat there, through the newsreels and the "coming attractions" and the cartoons, and got up and left when you came to the place where you had arrived. Maybe that's where the expression "this is where I came in" comes from? In any case, people would be popping up and down, entering and leaving, all through the movie. That's just the way it was.

UPDATE: I wouldn't rush out to see The Prestige. There's so much jumping back and forth in time and between switched identities you just end up confused and not really caring what the twists all mean. There is, however, an undeveloped subplot involving the rivalry between Edison and Tesla (TESLA - that familiar crossword friend!) that left me wanting to know more. I've heard a lot of friends rave about The Illusionist, also about nineteenth century magicians, and wish I'd seen that instead. Oh well.

UPDATE: I see that PBS did a special on Tesla in 2004. This explains the Colorado interlude that the movie (and presumably the book) describes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I managed to see Marie Antoinette some time ago, and I recommend not for what it accomplishes but for what it could have been .. Sofia takes on a grand project in trying to mix the modern with the historic, and though she often fails, she does with style to spare .. I'm definitely going to see The Prestige tomorrow

5:35 PM  
Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

If you want to learn more about Telsa and his life, I have read a great book called, "Lightning in His Hand the Life Story of Nikola Tesla", that Dad that gave me when I was young.

9:25 PM  
Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

PS, have you seen The Departed yet? I've really been wanting to after solving a double crostic puzzle somewhere.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home