(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, December 02, 2007

DailyLit.com


Speaking of books, which we sort of just were, the introduction of Amazon's Kindle reader has provoked a torrent of articles about books and reading. I'll comment on all this in bits and pieces, I suppose. But it was from Steven Levy's Newsweek cover story that I heard about DailyLit.com. I have no problem reading on a screen - in fact I do quite a lot of it - so the idea of reading classic novels in tiny, daily e-mailed installments interested me. I last read Moby Dick in college, under duress, of course, as all that reading so often was. This approach forces you to slow down and enjoy it page by page. I found that getting just ONE at a time was too piecemeal, and kept requesting "send me the next one". Now I've adjusted the subscription to four-a-day which seems about right.
The free selections, of which there are plenty, are all limited to books that are out of copyright, such as those you can find on Project Gutenberg. I'd be careful, therefore, about books originally written in languages other than English. You might be getting a poor translation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home