(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Multi-tasking

I never stop trying to "save time" by attempting to do two or more things at once. Most of the time it just doesn't work. I used to play bridge on line, and I found I couldn't even listen to music at the same time; it interfered with my concentration. I'm pretty sure it's a right brain/left brain thing.

I nearly always have a book with me when I'm alone at a restaurant or cafe or diner or whatever. But once the food comes it's pretty hard to eat and read at the same time; there are physical limitations, for one thing. But these new Playaway devices (see post of a few days ago) are a perfect solution to this. Here I am about to dig into an unneeded dessert. Can you tell I'm also "reading a book"?
After lunch I went to a poetry reading. I found that it was perfectly possible to sketch my fellow listeners (as well as the poets themselves) without losing track of what was being said or read. I suppose I've always known that. (The poets: Rosanna Warren, Karl Kirchwey, and Robert Hahn. Excellent in every way.)
The next REAL test will be: Can I listen to an audio book while drawing or painting in the "studio" (new name for "basement")? I'm hopeful that the answer will be YES.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - thanks for the great Playaway mention! As for your question about listening while painting, you can plug a Playaway into a small portable speaker so you don't have to worry about the earphones. :)

Happy Listening!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you tell I'm typing this from my new iPhone??? Z

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a yummy dessert...where was this??? Also -I need to stop by and check out the new "studio"...and see the latest artwork. - H

9:19 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

Bistro 18 on S Fullerton. Pretty yummy. It was supposed to be apple strudel, but the crust was made out of a tortilla instead of the usual strudel or filo dough; not sure I completely approve of that. Yes, stop by any time.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home