(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Huge pocketbooks


So, the latest New Yorker arrives today, and on the cover we see a drawing of a fashionista with a gigantic pocketbook getting stuck in a revolving door. Then we open the magazine, and - on the inside front cover - what do we see? A Banana Republic ad for a gigantic pocketbook. We turn the page, and what do we see? A Louis Vuitton ad for an even more gigantic pocketbook. Flip a few more pages and we come upon a Dior ad for - a gigantic pocketbook. Two more pages: Bally gigantic pocketbook. Were these advertisers forewarned that their products were going to be the subject of PARODY and RIDICULE in this week's issue? If so, might they not have chosen to advertise something ELSE, just for this week?

7 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

LOLOLOL.

Mom called them pocketbooks her entire life also. No amount of admonishing or eye rolling could convince her otherwise.

Of course, I still say purse most of the time, so I'm probably pretty out of it too. Although, I DO call those huge bags that the original post referred to bags.

As to the OP, that is pretty funny.

11:03 AM  
Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

You mean they aren't called pocketbooks? Maybe that explains a few dates gone awry.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What boggles my mind is the price of some of these bags. Thousands of dollars for a POCKETBOOK, are they kidding?

(Hi, I found your blog while Googling crosswords.)

9:37 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

Hi Ellen, and welcome. Most of the commenters here seem to be related to me, but feel free to join in the fray!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sixty-five! Thanks for cluing me in...I had no idea that half the extended family had entered the blogosphere. The sequence of comments above cracked me up!

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello --I found your blog via "Time Goes By". Why anyone would want a huge "pocketbook" is beyond me. The last time I had a big bag it hurt my shoulder,empty. Now I go for the smallest bag possible and if I need to carry a book or something bulky I have 2 cloth decorative bags that I carry in addition to the smaller bag.

I have said pocektbook my entire life; or sometimes purse but never bag.

:)

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pardon my cynicism but those bag/purse ads that appear in the 9/25 issue of the NYorker are not there by accident. Deliberate ad placement to make you want to buy a big bag. Anyone remember the issue a yr or so ago that Target sponsored? The cover and all the ads incorporated the red Target logo---and the name Target never appeared. Pretty scandalous, although the NYorker continues to be the best magazine published in the world, and getting better all the time under David Remnick.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home