(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Friday, December 15, 2006

Chelsea

I was feeling a need for some eye candy today - a visual change of pace. So I headed for the city. The blocks between Tenth and Eleventh Avenue - on the far west side, in the twenties, comprise a major art gallery venue. It's an easy walk from Penn Station, and it's another world.




I particularly liked this work - and now I can't remember the artist's name. I'll have to dig for it.





Per Fronth is a name I'll remember and watch. I liked his work very much.





These little handmade books said "please touch", so I did.







A nice Frank Stella show here. This gallery was on the sixth floor; not all the galleries are at street level. There are over 150 galleries in this neighborhood.

Wait - is this a painting - or are we looking out the window? Hey - it's New Jersey!


In some cases entire galleries have been turned into "environments", including audio and video components. This one (and also the next) is a tribute to the artists's mother.

These represent just a small fraction of what I saw, and what I saw was just a small fraction of what's there. I need to take more advantage of this incredible free resource.










5 Comments:

Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

I like the window one, hehe.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is that very large room that looks like a museum gallery? (and I love the stacked cups).

10:33 AM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

The large room is the Per Fronth exhibit at the Dillon Gallery, 555 W 25th St. That's the Norwegian artist I liked so much. But this is typical of what many of the galleries look like. The teacups were nearby - I wish I had written down the artist's name. She also did a wonderful self-portrait with a yellow hat, some other domestic objects. Part of a group show.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

I like the teacups too.

Great entry, all around-- love the photos!

11:58 AM  
Blogger nina said...

Fantastic photos! I envy you being that close to a city (and especially THAT city) so that you can escape to get a fix of the unusual. Madison is a wonderful, diverse, interesting little place to live in, but too far from something with a stronger pulse.
I, too, think you have a remarkable eye for framing photos. In fact, your blog has become a "top five" for me. Thank you so much for taking up blogging.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home