(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Monday, September 08, 2008

Exotic eggs and locovores

Does every Whole Foods Store have an exotic egg section? A LOCAL exotic egg section? Well, I already know that the answer is NO, because the smallish one in Montclair doesn't. But here we are in the West Orange megastore, which is much more fun when one is in a wandering, browsing mode, which is me, most of the time.
So - these are cute! Little quail eggs. I can imagine some fancy ways one might use these.


The duck eggs are recommended for baking, and for custards. "Eggier", and a little larger than chicken eggs, apparently. Now these I might actually try.

But check out the ostrich eggs! One egg feeds ten to twelve, they claim - scrambled or in a giant omelet. Hmmm. Would that justify the $40 price tag? I wonder who buys these.


No such goings on at the more pedestrian A&P. Still, it seems everyone wants to buy stuff that's LOCAL. I read not long ago that Walmart (oddly, one store that simply isn't to be found anywhere around here) is now a buyer of local produce on a very large scale. This seems to me to be a very good trend.


3 Comments:

Blogger joco said...

To be truthful, I much prefer a bevy of quails to the equivalent number of their eggs. A bit too esoteric for me.

I love seeing the little ones scurrying around.

Ostrich eggs I could live with, if I did any baking (Not), seeing that one egg would probably make two pound cakes.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Superdad said...

I have had poached quail eggs on toast. I really liked it. I don't know if I liked it because of the novelty or if it was actually better then chicken eggs.

2:58 PM  
Blogger sukipoet said...

Truthfully I'm not an egg person if I really think about what they are. Though one has to use them for baking or course and I do do an occasional scramble. I try to buy local eggs just because it seems they'll be fresher. Or eggs labeled organic which are usually from Pennsylvania. Somehow I cant bring myself to buy food or much of anything from Walmart. But thanks for the esoteric tour of a New Jersey market.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home