(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Freezer housekeeping

Everyone tells you to label and date everything you put into the freezer, right? But then what? How do you keep it all from getting LOST in there? It's a little premature for me to post this, since it just happened yesterday, and this is FAR from the final resolution. But I do think these baskets (5.99 at the Container Store) are going to help me keep things in rough categories. At the very least, I can pull out each one and rummage through it. And there won't be stuff getting lost in the back.

I suppose that if most of your freezer contents are of the commercial packaged variety - neat boxes that stack - there would be less need for this. But I'm a saver of dribs and drabs - things that make cooking easier and less wasteful. Cubes of pesto and lemon juice. Blobs of caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms. Bits of leftover wine to deglaze a pan. Chopped herbs. Single servings of brown rice, various legumes (a snap to do in the Crockpot) and pasta (don't knock this til you've tried it).

Most of the top shelf consists of various forms of animal protein. For the last two months I've been working through this, trying to get it used up. You can see I still have a long way to go. Reading Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals made me aware as never before of the evils of factory farming. So I'm not buying any meats or poultry that aren't from small-scale sustainable sources - and even these I expect to cut way back on. Still, it doesn't seem right to discard what I already have, does it?

Why didn't I do this thirty years ago?
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

Joe decided he wanted to buy a quarter of a steer this past fall so he was tasked with clearing out and organizing the chest freezer. He did such a fantastic job that I think he will continue to be given that job whenever it's needed. Uh, which it won't because, theoretically, it's never going to need to be organized again, right?

I think the baskets are a good idea for easier sorting.

And I've frozen pasta w/success in the past as well.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

I have also frozen pasta with out trouble. We are doing the same thing with the family - locally raised meat and eggs. We haven't switched to dairy that way but I would liek to find a source. We are also trying to eat less meat- more recipes with meat as an ingredient not the main attraction. I think it is also more healthy for us as well as better for the animals and the planet.

5:46 PM  
Blogger sukipoet said...

the baskets are a great idea. my mom used cut down Gevalia coffee boxes in the freezer to organize. There are tons of those boxes around and i have been using them for all sorts of things.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home