(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Instant 24-hour bread

It's not often that a truly revolutionary kitchen technique comes along, but after reading Mark Bittman's article on no-knead breadmaking in yesterday's NY Times, I can hardly wait to try this. The revolutionary parts (besides the no-knead, which you can sort of get around anyhow by using the Cuisinart, or a dough hook) are these: 1. Only a tiny bit of yeast is used. 2. The bread is left to rise for a LONG TIME (about 24 hours, so yes, you do have to plan ahead). 3. The blob of wet dough is tossed into a pre-heated cast-iron casserole to bake (so no "shaping" is needed either).

I take it is a very good sign that this technique comes originally from Jim Lahey, owner of the Sullivan Street Bakery in NY. The pane pugliese from here is a classic, and a long-standing favorite of mine. And I do know, both from reading (masters like Peter Reinhart) and from hands-on experience (a lifetime of baking, and a fun one-day class in artisanal breads at the Culinary Institute last spring) that the wetter the better when it comes to a good dough for breads of this kind. And the long rise would take the place of using the normal starter, or "poolish".

Why am I blathering on about this? Off to the kitchen. I'm going to start a batch right now.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm excited to try this one, too--please report on the results!

2:07 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

Well I see one immediate improvement in the new Blogger. Previously, when comments were left (and I think this was a "preference" I set) I would get an email with the text of the comment and the commenter's name (as signed) but there was no hint, except from the context, as to which post was being commented upon. Now the email comes with a link to the relevant post, allowing me to fly there instantly and respond, as I am now doing.

Anyhow, so far so good with the bread. House is 65 and the rising temp is supposed to be 70, but I don't plan to turn on the furnace for this. Maybe it will just have to go a little longer?

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My house is cooler too. Doesn't seem to be a problem...it's quite happily bubbling along. Thanks for visiting..I'll check back to see how you're coming along.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure what temperature my apt. is - I think it's right around 70 in the kitchen tho.

I used the recipe/timings as given, except I forgot step 2 (fold over and rest for 15 min.) I used King Arthur bread flour, which is the best bread flour I've run across in 35 years of bread making. I used a big glass Pyrex casserole to bake it.

Results: a good, solid loaf of bread; but not fantastic. I don't know if it was the container I used, but the crust was fairly thick and somewhat tough (very similar to bread I've made in the past). The texture is excellent and the flavor good. And the work required is almost zero.

Next, I'll have to try whole wheat and rye (and step 2).

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'm very happy with my crust, which is not tough, and is thin and crackling, and lovely. I used King Arthur's all-purpose-rather than their bread flour. I find it works better for me on European type breads.
This may actually be the best bread I've ever made at home-which is really amazing, considering how easy it is!
Tastes delicious-all wheaty. This is fun,baking the same thing, at the same time! I'm waiting to hear how you like it, sixty-five.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Karen Baking Soda said...

Hi sixty-five, came here through Lindy's, and yesterday night I have tried this recipe together with Tanna, we baked simultaneously (she is in the States, I'm in the Netherlands...) Do you mind if I link from my post to yours?
I have to do this again, my dough was wet and temperatures in my house were way to cool due to eeh circumstances ;)

6:53 AM  
Blogger europa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never made an artisan type bread and have recently purchased a book and had all intentions of making a starter and starting to experiment with different breads. Then I came across this 24 hour method. I just completed a bread and it was the best I have ever made! Only, how do you stop eating this?

I have some questions: if I were to add a handful of sliced or chopped olives, do you think it will affect the texture of this bread? Also if I want to substitute some whole wheat or rye flour, how much could I substitute without losing this wonderful texture and taste?

I am ready to order a long la cloche pot because I think a long bread will be easier to slice.

Any input will be appreciated.

tandek

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home