(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Found!

You have no idea how long I've been looking for that book about the Great American Comic Strip. I knew I had it somewhere. I bought it at the MOMA, last time they had a cartoon art exhibit. What led me to it, finally, was this: I had just read Calvin Trilin's charming little book about his wife, "About Alice", which I recommend. It will make you want to be like her, which must be part of the point. It's a very short read, more like a magazine article, really, in fact I realized that I had already read quite a lot of it, most likely in the New Yorker. Anyhow, he starts off by talking about how they met at a party for the very short-lived humor magazine called Monocle, and I remembered that I had this old preview copy somewhere. Lo and behold, when I went to look for it, there was the cartoon book. It was standing on edge so it would fit on the shelf without hanging over (being wider than tall, as you can see) and I had just looked right past it a million times. A bonus find on the same shelf was this New York Times parody issue from the 1978 newspaper strike. I'll enjoy looking that over, too. And I guess maybe it ought to be protected somehow, as compared to being just jammed in between some other books and papers. Don't come to me expecting high standards of curatorial excellence. But hey - it all gets saved. Isn't that what counts?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if we could just find the old "How to Cook" book! I can't imagine what could have happened to it. But this gives me hope that it's in there somewhere!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you I didn't take it...

4:36 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

I told you I didn't take it...

LOL!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home