(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Tour

There was a house tour today - an annual fundraiser for a local group. I'm not sure what prompted me to go, as I'd never done so before. I know there are beautiful houses in my town, because I've been in plenty of them. But these - I dunno - it was somehow all about "look what we bought!" All the state-of-the-art kitchens and expensive furniture leave me cold. Still, there were some high points:

I very much liked this simple kitchen. The big cupboard just inside the back door solves the "no mud room" problem. I loved the concrete countertops.

Just opposite this long table is the main working area. This is a room where a family could happily hang out in any number of comfortable scenarios.

I think the blackboard paint idea is a great one for a child's room. I understand that you can get the same paint now with built-in magnetic properties. What next?

This back yard's simple wood platform appealed to me. It was a part of the most modest house (by far) on the tour - but also the one with the most clever design ideas.

And I am always drawn to ponds - particularly simple ones like this. There was a small pumping action going, which meant there had to be electricity coming from somewhere, but I couldn't figure out from where, as it was in the most remote corner of the yard (as mine would/will be when I get to it, sooner or later....)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the look of that kitchen!! I was surprised at how shiny concrete counters looked. Any more pictures of that room?

8:30 AM  
Blogger sukipoet said...

I love seeing houses. Yes, the kitchen seems quite practical and cheerful. The blackboard wall is stupendous. Good luck making your pond. And enjoyed the art show tour and a peek at your pastel. I thought it was lovely. Bravo for being in the show.

8:36 AM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

I only took those two - sorry! The designer (who was there) is Elise Blatt. email is studiosquare@comcast.net. Phone is 973 566 0240. She volunteered the name of the company that made the cabinets, which I promptly forgot. But I'm sure she'd be receptive to any inquiries.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home