(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

ipad envy

Judging from the buzz, I guess I'm in the minority. I think the new ipad gizmo sounds great! I've held off on getting a smartphone because for me it would just be a toy. I don't really need ANY kind of phone, much less a smart one, but I do love the idea of the 3G connectivity.

There's a lot of joking about the name. It does seem that the product will be more useful to women than to men, since most of us already lug around some kind of bag that the ipad would easily slip right into. Guys, on the other hand, are more used to sticking stuff in their pockets, no?

People are compaining that there's no camera included. But I already have a perfectly good camera! And I ought to be able to load photos onto this thing pretty easily, right?

I have been waiting a while to figure out how to completely re-vamp my electronic life. I have a land-line phone that I rarely use; but I need it for the DSL internet connection. On top of that, I pay a monthly charge to my ISP. All this being said, my laptop is slow and frustrating to use - defintely time to upgrade to something else. (Ongoing excuse for sparse blog posts - they take TIME!) My cell phone is really just for emergencies (though free on weekends); for that I pay a minimum fee. No cable here, because there's no TV. My favorite gizmo to date is the little portable DVD player that lives under my pillow. I can envision a future where the ipad is my ONLY computer, the land-line phone is a thing of the past, and maybe I upgrade the cell in some way? Remains to be seen how it might all work, but I'm optimistic.

I think it's all right down my minimalist alley.

3 Comments:

Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

You are right, it meets the minimalist needs of an "entertainment" device.

Flashy touch interface, web browsing, e-mail, all iPhone applications, book reader, videos, etc.

Perfect trendy device if that is all you need to do.

A BIG drawback that exists, as does with the iPhone, is that there is no Adobe Flash support, so that will render a lot of website content, including video viewers, inoperable.

Lack of multi-tasking has also been a complaint of many "geeks". No listening to music while typing, or no instant messaging while blogging, etc.

The consensus I feel is that the Apple crowd are going to wait for the next model, which will undoubtedly address some of the shortcomings.

You can get a tablet PC with Windows 7, which will do everything your laptop does now (and have a regular keyboard if you desire). Haven't really researched them or been in the market, but I believe can get with 3G built in or get a 3G adapter card.

I do see the appeal of having a polished, easy to use, closed operating system though, Windows can be a real pain.

Let me know what you decide!

5:56 PM  
Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

PS, there is no phone or DVD player.

6:00 PM  
Blogger sukipoet said...

I use cable only for my computer modem source thing as I would go crazy with slow dial up. I rarely use either phone due to cell phones not working up here so I have it for emergencies. I do envy you your portable DVD player, however would that mean I would watch movies in bed? Insomniacs are only supposed to use bed for sleeping, though in the winter each night I retire to my comfy bed pillows and light to read. I have a digital camera and that is about as far as my experiment with modern tech goes so far. You will have to let us know how things go if you buy one of these doo hickies.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home