(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Quince sniffing

These are quinces, from the farmer's market yesterday. I had made a mental note to look for them, even since reading David Lebovitz's ode to them. Just as he describes, they are filling the house (and before that, the car) with a delicious scent. I am thinking they are not quite ripe yet, since they are more green than yellow. But what do I know? I am also not sure what I want to do with them. I'm thinking "compote"; but....open to ideas. Preserves? Anyone?

It was almost an afterthought that I went to the market. I'd gone first to a used book sale - cleverly managing to escape only $5 the poorer. Then I figured, "oh, I might as well see what's there". The problem with our market is that the vendors are always the same, and rarely have anything that is really different or better than what I can get anywhere else. No unusual varieties, no specialties. I wish it were otherwise! Still, I like the concept and the vibes, so I usually stop by, and usually buy something. So yesterday it was the quinces. Breathing deeply now.... aaaaaah!

Update: Still that wondrous fragrance, still debating. Just came across this tempting post from Shuna of eggbeater. Sounds like a good approach. I love anything that, once prepared, can be kept for months at a time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be fun to try membrillo, and I love Lebovtiz's idea of making little sugared squares of it for a cheese plate. So many great possibilities!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

really like your blog!

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a recipe for quince tart in today's Globe. It's adapted from a Jane Grigson recipe. It's really a custard tart with quince puree (flavored with cinnamon and cloves) folded into the custard, served with brandy sauce made in part from the poaching liquid from the quinces. Looks interesting, and only takes ones quince.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home