(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Friday, May 11, 2007

Digging

Don't look for me here tomorrow. I'll be outside digging holes. I have a HUGE new sweet bay magnolia, covered with buds. Two Forest Pansy redbuds. All three a steal from Lowe's. And without H's help in the transportation department I'd never have gotten them here. I know she'd never have agreed if she'd known how absurdly big they all were. Thanks H! Then there's an Aurora white dogwood picked up earlier in the week. And a white Rose of Sharon. The Rose of Sharon - just a stick, really - was a $3 impulses purchase at the annual Maplewood Garden Club plant sale, where I also snagged a bunch of pink everblooming daylilies (Rosy Returns) to replace some of the boring Stella d'Oros on my daylily hill out back. $5 they were, for huge clumps. I've seen them advertised for as much as $27.50.

Seven baby boxwoods have gone into the "fence pots", and I'm going to poke dwarf nasturtium seeds in there, along with upside-down plastic forks to keep the marauding squirrels at bay.

Lilacs are in full, fragrant bloom, along with candytuft, pasque flower, tulips, coral bells, Spanish bluebells (the Virginia bluebells, my favorites, have been particularly lovely this year, but are on the way out), bleeding heart, viburnum, fothergilla, forget-me-nots .... I'm digging up clumps of white yarrow which has seeded everywhere to intersperse with the daylilies - an experiment. What I really want there is double white feverfew, but I haven't even had a chance to start the seeds yet. Hostas - hundreds of them - are exploding and unfurling with astonishing speed.

It's my favorite time of year in the garden. And it's nearly impossible to keep up with it all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

I don't know if mine is the same variety of redbud, but it's by far the tree I like the best in my yard (not that there are many!).

Be careful with the yarrow! If it's what I'm remembering it is, it will take off in force-- and you'll never get it to go away!

Mom brought me three little feverfew seedlings three or four years ago and now I have to thin it every spring and weed it from where I don't want to like crazy. I love how it looks though, so it's a good problem to have.

I know what you mean about this time of year; there’s something about seeing everything coming up and starting all over once again. Remembering you planted something you'd forgotten about; it's like greeting old friends.

It all sounds lovely and I can't wait to see pictures.

2:16 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

The Forest Pansy redbuds have the same pink flowers (before they leaf out) as the regular ones, but they have unusual purplish foliage. Point well taken about the yarrow - I was thinking I wouldn't mind if it reseeded in and among the daylilies, but it might also get into the grass, which would not be so good. Is your feverfew double or single? I have a lot of the single kind (like little daisies) popping up everywhere, but what I want is the double (like little white pompoms).

8:32 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

I have the double. I don't know if it would be the same for you since I'm assuming you're in a different zone, but I find I can't get rid of it (not that I want to; I always let 3-4 of the plants take off).

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home