(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Friday, September 08, 2006

Boxed In


For some time now I've been reading about the big improvements in the production of "box wine" - that's the stuff that comes in an air-tight plastic bag crammed inside a cardboard box. It has a handy little "faucet" thingie and lasts for weeks with no loss of quality. Perfect for someone like me who lives alone and likes to have a glass or two of wine with dinner without having to open a whole bottle. Sure, I can get Almaden or Franzio just about everywhere (and endure hoots of derision from - well, you know who you are), but what about these other ones, the ones that are supposed to be as good or better than many bottled wines? The kinds that master sommelier Andrea Immer-Robinson has given her stamp of approval to? Where are they to be found? I never see them in any store. I've even asked.

So I decide to investigate on line. Oh no! What is this? What kind of law is this that prevents me from getting the information I want? From what or whom am I being protected?

I am going to get to the bottom of this.

2 Comments:

Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

Oh goodie, Oklahoma is banned too. Big surprise, but New Jersey? You sure they're not putting opiates or something in that "wine"? Did a quick check myself, you are still allowed to search in New York, lots of places to pick it up in Brooklyn :)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

I'm curious what the rationale is too. I know that the sale of alcohol is heavily regulated federally and so many states, in order to protect themselves (legally speaking, of course), put in place even stricter laws, but I can't imagine what this particular law is meant to accomplish. Be sure and update once your investigation is complete!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home