(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Waiting

Interesting article in the NYT today about the custom, in rural China, of arranging marriages for "dead bachelors". It's not my normal style to comment on random news like this, but I am finally reading "Waiting", the National Book Award winner by Ha Jin from several years ago. (I tend to be hopelessly out of sync in nearly all my reading and movie-going.) Like the Times article, this wonderful book is a glimpse into a remote and rarely seen world by a hugely talented writer. Highly recommended, and yes- that's the State Street Grill again.

Update: I should have pointed out this most interesting AGNI interview with the author. (Note that I needed no prompting whatsoever to add this!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

This is terrible, but I can't remember if I read this book or not. I'm pretty sure I did, and that I liked it, but if so it was at least three or four years ago.

Your set-up looks heavenly-- I'm tempted to want to jump through the computer and join you. An appealing book and a cup of coffee; one of life's greatest combinations.

3:21 PM  
Blogger AlexanderTheGreat said...

Dead bachelors? I'll wait for the NOVA special.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home