(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

And the winner is...


yellow! I've seen four of the five "best picture" nominees now (Iwo Jima remains), and what I'm most struck by is how utterly different they are from one another. How would you choose? It's like asking "what's the best color?" Still, my personal choice for best would have been the more original Babel. Like the academy I would have rewarded The Queen by rewarding Mirren. And I suppose their nod to Little Miss Sunshine was the surprise award to Arkin, cheating Murphy out of his expected win. (Haven't seen that one yet either, so can't comment.)
The Departed was really too violent and foul-mouthed for me, and I don't favor the cops and robbers genre to begin with. Still, Leonardo was brilliant, and too bad that he had to go up against Forrest Whitaker, but he will surely get his Oscar next time he's nominated, no matter what the circumstances (that's how it works, isn't it?). This was just Scorsese's year, that's all.
But Little Miss Sunshine! What a delight! I adored it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

Yes, The Departed was extremely violent and foul-mouthed; sometimes cringingly so, but I thought both Leonardo DiCaprio was excellent too. In fact, I thought the whole cast was magnificent, Vera Farmiga being the weakest link but not markedly so.

You haven't seen Dreamgirls yet? That's another one I'm very interested in and I'm guessing that if it's on your list you'll get to it before I do.

Oh, and not that it really matters, but I think DiCaprio was nominated for Blood Diamond (another one that looks good), not The Departed.

12:40 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

Oh you're right. For some reason I thought he'd been nominated twice. Oh well. I actually thought Vera Farmiga (whom I'd never heard of) was excellent too.

4:57 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About a year ago, NYTimes Mag did a huge feature on Vera - the quiet virtuoso rising star who lives in upstate New York, the next Merrill Streep, etc etc. She was also great in Down to the Bone. -IB

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home