(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Catching up II

OK, OK - I know you're getting impatient. This will have to be a random, multi-subject catch-up post.

1. There's a great new sushi place on Broad Street.

2. We're getting a new Starbucks in the old Rite-Aid place, next to Bottle King. I'd prefer a Peet's, or something a little more unusual. But hey- am I not the one who complains endlessly about no cafes? And this will be an easy, easy walk for me.

3. I stayed an extra day in Boston in order to go (with G) to hear a panel discussion with Dave Eggers, Valentino Achak Deng and Samantha Powers (Pulitzer winning author of "A Problem from Hell"). It was in Harvard's beautiful Memorial Church, where I hadn't been in years, and the place was packed. Afterwards - a fine dinner at Harvest on Brattle St.

4. Movies! I've watched so many of them recently. I guess it's the Oscar thing; that time of year and all. Saw Notes on a Scandal with G in Newton. Excellent. Otherwise, all DVD's. Free from the library (or sometimes $1 for the newest). I've missed so many great ones over the years. Now I'm making a deliberate and concentrated effort to fill in some of the most egregious blanks. I'll single out some of the best in future posts.

5. Last weekend it was winter. Then came torrential rains. Now it's spring. Will it last?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed seeing The Illusionist when it was in theaters, and just rented it last week. I loved it! Was that one of the ones you saw? Even if you "figure it out" early, it's still fantastic to watch, I think.

2:53 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

The Illusionist is definitely high on my list, which spans decades. Many friends raved about it - must be a good "old lady" movie!

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a good ANYBODY movie. But it's true that there is very little violence or suspense and lots of nice costumes and a love story at the center. I'm on a bit of a Steven Millhauser kick, though, and that was one reason I decided to rent it now. Push it to the top of your list!

8:00 PM  
Blogger sixty-five said...

I just recently found out that Steven Milhauser is married to Cathy Milhauser - one of the all time best and cleverest crossword constructors. He has a wonderful story in the latest New Yorker.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

Joe and I were just talking about The Illusionist the other night and how much we both were interested in it. Glad to know we have a good movie to look forward to.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home